Thursday, November 4, 2010

Luke Warm....

Today, I really had to have a good solid laugh at society.

student in my class-

"Hannah, why do you try so hard? You have perfect handwriting, you take good notes, you always ask questions, and you always do really awesome work and ace every test. Why don't you just skip class one day, or "forget" to do your homework for once...It would be good for you."

my response-

"...."

"WHY shouldn't I do all these things????"

student -

"Because you don't have to be perfect to pass the class"

again my response -

"WHY should I not try and product quality work"

student -

"Because your work will not matter in the long run"



Ok, I know several of my family and friends that would fit RIGHT IN with my fellow peer today. People laugh at me for actually doing my homework, studying and being a diligent person in class.



What if everyone was like my peer? They do half-hearted work all the time. They are LUKE-warm people....

...at school, "Cs may get degrees" but if you want to get into certain programs, they wont even look at you if you are only mediocre.

...at work, an employer may receive 1000 applications and will TOSS INTO THE GARBAGE the applications that don't stand out.

...at home, chores won't get done, relationships will lack LIFE and INTIMACY, something may always feel missing

...with GOD, if you slack, you are just another one of those "luke-warm" people who think they have a relationship with God but really, they are just putting on a fake little face and call themselves A "Christian"



Well, here is Hannah's little life lesson for YOU!! =D



I am here to tell you that studiousness and responsibility is NOT just for educational purposes ONLY. It pays to work hard in EVERYTHING YOU DO!! School, work, home life, being a Christian all takes WHOLE-HEARTED WORK - NOT anything less.

By putting all your efforts and reaching for As and Bs (you don't need a 4.0 to be deemed successful) you show you care. Most teachers are in the classroom, not for the pay, but because they love teaching. Why not learn something from their work? There are SO MANY children around the world who will never crack open a book to learn something new. Take advantage of the opportunities you have and BE THANKFUL FOR THEM! (it is not thanking the people who pay for your education, your parents,your peers, your teachers, and even your community if you SLACK and work "to just get by")

Pretend you are an employer : Are you going to pay someone who slacks on the job or the worker who wants to work, who works hard and produces the best work they can EVEN IF they go out of their way to do it? Hello. This is an OBVIOUS ANSWER. Today, it is HARD to find a job (I have been looking for 2 solid months) and it takes people who are OVER-THE-TOP to land the opportunity for work. I think that if you want to find a job (or keep one for that manner) you need to be diligent and put forth your best work because THAT will keep the boss happy and the paychecks coming.

If you do half-A** work at home all the time, from experience I tell you that
#1 - your home will be a mess!
#2 - people will not be happy, and often they will feel like they are not being well taken care of
#3 - others will look at you and think that there is something wrong
I am here to tell you that when the whole family cooperates, you can move mountains. Things will look nice, smell nice, and most important feel nice. Home will be a happier place to live. There will be less drama if everyone just puts in a little more effort than they usually do. Trust me on this one.

You can not call yourself a true Christian if you are luke warm. The Bible says in Revelations 3:16 "Because you are neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." God makes it very clear that you can't be a Christian sometimes but not always. (such as 10 minutes a day- the average amount of time a"Christian" American spends with God each day) God wants a relationship with each and everyone of us but He asked that we put our whole hearts into it.

I hope that this explains a little bit why I get a little cranky when people ridicule me for being a hard worker. I also hope that people can be inspired by this to popped their lazy bubble and work a little harder today. You never know, you might just feel better about yourself after the day is over and others will be impressed by positive changes. (believe me, people take notice ALL THE TIME! =) )

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Preach it, Hannah!

    I so totally agree. (Oh my ... we are so much alike.) When I was in school, I could NOT imagine skipping class, for the sake of skipping class. I could NOT imagine thinking "no big deal" about a homework assignment. Oh. My. No. Each and every day of class, and each and every assignment, was important.

    And ... the lukewarm part ...

    So true.

    Can you imagine if I didn't take my "job" as a Mama very seriously? I'd have a riot on my hands every day.

    Can you imagine if I hadn't taken my job as a Homeschooling Mama seriously? None of my kids would have made it into college.

    Can you imagine if I didn't care about a clean house? (clutter is one thing ... with a dozen children ... but CLEAN is another thing) The health department would be called out to inspect.

    We are called to DO all that the Lord asks us to do. (Which is NOT to just go to church on Sunday.)

    We are called to BE all that the Lord calls us to be. (Which is NOT just "a good person".)

    LOVE you Hannah! Keep writing! Keep preaching! Keep doing all that GOD calls you to do; and keep being ALL that GOD calls you to be. You are WONDERFUL!!!

    Mama D. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought as Mama... "wow, we are so much alike" (along with, "Wow, Hannah is so much like Laurel!")

    Don't EVER EVER EVER listen to those who tell you it's okay to be lukewarm. I have always regretted the times I lowered my standards and settled for what many of my peers thought was sufficient.

    I Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink OR WHATEVER YOU DO, do it all for the glory of God." When you choose to give your best in class, God is glorified. When you choose to be a responsible and trustworthy employee, God is glorified. When you choose to serve your family in the way you keep your house and invest in your relationships, God is glorified.

    No, we're not going to be perfect (this side of Heaven)... but that does not mean we should strive for mediocrity.

    Hannah, I am so thankful to have you as a part of the family, and I look forward to getting to know you better! You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete